Sunday, December 7, 2008

Unexpected gifts

Recently, I've had a bunch of things come into my life from other people. Mostly these things have come from my mom, but some have also come from a temporary houseguest who was moving away.

When I got all this stuff I'll asmit that I was a bit frustrated, if not a teensy bit annoyed. I've been trying really hard to get rid of clutter and unnecessary stuff, and all of a sudden I had almost half of the stuff I'd gotten rid of on my last big Goodwill run. Now, admittedly there's a lot of stuff in there that I can't or won't use, ranging from old magazines to gravy mix to chemical cleaners. But, once I relaxed a bit, I took a look and found a few things that I'm actually grateful to have now, and that I think can be put to good use.

- a water jug - more cold water stored, plus an increased chance that I'll drink more water

- a wire shopping basket - excellent for the back of my bike, and means that I can take the basket in and pick up just what I can carry

- a tea set - I find drinking tea rather calming and, while this isn't technically necessary, having a tea set is a nice luxury, especially when sharing with other people

- loads of plant pots - not all will be useful, I don't think, but there are some nice big ones that I hope to use for a bigger and better container garden on the patio this summer

- cutting boards - I broke mine recently, and multiples are nice to have for chopping

- board games - mom gave me whatever they had left, and while I orginally wasn't all that excited for them to come and live with me, it now strikes me that some more free, low-energy entertainment is a good thing to have around

- decorative towels - I dislike decorative towels and have enough towels for regular use, but I had a few sewing projects in mind that I needed terrycloth for, and now I have the materials to complete them, which is rather nice

- reusable bags - I might just have enough of these already, but I could gift them to friends or otherwise make use of them

- basic foods - I need to look over things to see whether they're still useful, but spices, flour, sugar, tea, and other bits and pieces have now come my way, and if I can put them to use, I will

I guess it's all in how you look at things. I was ready to pitch everything in one fell swoop just to get it out of here, but giving it a few days to think about and ponder was really useful. Some of it may make its way out the door yet, depending on whether I can fit it in or not, but I appreciate having (and not having to buy) a few more things that will be useful for me and for the life that I'm gradually setting up for myself here. Now, if only someone would send a nice grain mill my way...

2 comments:

Liz said...

You may be interested in this site...
www.berryhilllimited.com

Lots of country living/farm life/self-reliance stuff. It's not a cheap store but there's lots of ideas and then you can always look on ebay or something. And they have grain mills. ;o)

Lehman's is another one in the US.

Jenn said...

Thanks for the link, Liz - free shipping in Canada is very attractive. I've actually been looking at the Lehman's grain mills (Lehman's best, in particular), but haven't quite bit the bullet and ordered one. For now, I'm using a manual coffee grinder, but it's really not the same.

 
Brighter Planet's 350 Challenge