Friday, December 19, 2008

Independence Days update

1. Plant something: didn't plant anything directly, but I did order a number of seed catalogues to plan for this summer; checked for seeds in a few local stores, but was disappointed by the offerings there.

2. Harvest something: again, not so much here this week.

3. Preserve something: dehydrated nine pounds of carrots, a head of celery, celery leaves, and some cabbage.

4. Store something: soy sauce and mung beans from the local Asian grocery store; more water in reused plastic bottles and jugs.

5. Manage reserves: went through bags of carrots, onions, and potatoes to remove any going bad.

6. Cook something new: tried a new pad thai recipe; made whole wheat apple cinnamon muffins.

7. Prepped something: further decluttered my apartment, and especially the kitchen (so much easier to cook and keep clean now!); picked up a good-sized cast iron dutch oven on clearance and two more wool blankets from the thrift store.

8. Learned a new skill: didn't learn anything new, but I have been working on my sewing skills.

9. Worked on community food security: talked to some friends about Peak Oil and food issues (although I'm not sure how effective this was).

10. Reduced waste: left out cleaning supplies (from my houseguest, which I won't use) in the building's laundry room for someone else; reused old pots for plants on the patio; saving egg cartons to use to start seedlings in the spring; dehydrated foods rather than throwing them out before heading home for Christmas.

11. Regenerated: put more donations aside for Goodwill.

2 comments:

Liz said...

Hi Jenn - I ordered seeds and received them yesterday. I'm so glad to have them. I got them from the Cottage Gardener...lots of different heirloom veggies and open pollinated for saving. www.cottagegardener.com. They're about half an hour or so east of Oshawa.

What do you use for dehydrating?

Enjoy the holidays.

Jenn said...

For dehydrating I use a Snackmaster dehydrator. It's pretty basic, and I bought it for $10 off Craig's List, but it gets the job done. My preference is to just lay out food on the sheets and let it air dry, but if I need to do things in a hurry, I let it run. I'd like to build a solar dehydrator someday but for now, this will do.

 
Brighter Planet's 350 Challenge