Saturday, November 22, 2008

Overwhelmed

I'm nearly done my grading, which means that I actually have time! To myself! This afternoon!

Theoretically, I should be working on my dissertation-thing, but I have a long list of Peak Oil prep kind of things to do, and I suspect that I should spend some time on that.

The trouble is, the list is, as I said, long. And as a result, I find it incredibly overwhelming to decide what to do first. Do I stay in, order a grain mill, dehydrate some of the produce in my fridge, and then read up on how to raise chickens? Or, do I head out to the thrift store with an eye to picking up some blankets, and maybe some more yarn or a cast iron pan? Or, do I head out to the local hardware store and see about getting an air mattress, the components for my worm composter, and a maglight to serve as both flashlight and weapon? Stopping on the way, of course, for a hand crank radio? Or, do I just make an extended grocery store trip with my bundle buggy and haul home extra rations of rice, potatos, and long-keeping root veggies?

I dunno - I could do any of them, and will do them all eventually. I'm just feeling rather overwhelmed now by all that I feel that I have to do. And, the fact that this is grading time, and end of the semester time, and holiday time really isn't helping matters any. I'll get over it - probably in fairly short order - but this isn't always an easy thing to do, and I think it's worth writing out the hard and the troubling and the problematic things as much as the good ones.

No comments:

 
Brighter Planet's 350 Challenge