Thursday, November 20, 2008

New blankets

Whenever I'm over at the library these days (which, admittedly, is quite a lot since I keep ordering books that I hope will help me expand my skills and knowledge a bit more), I stop by the local thrift store. Really, I don't much like it. I think many of its things are overpriced, and it kind of depresses me in general. But, thrift stores are one of the few places to get the dishes that my mom collects and that are the only thing we're allowed to get her as gifts, so I check every time I'm around.

I found four of her plates this time, which was lovely and will be great for Christmas, but even lovelier was what I found in the bedding section. I've been looking for a nice wool blanket for awhile now. My dream one is Hudson's Bay four point blanket (the white with the coloured stripes), but that's pretty much a pipe dream, since they tend to be very expensive be they new or old. In general, I really just want them to keep me warm in the winter, and because they wear so well, but I'd been coming up empty.

And today, I found two wool blankets. First, a lovely throw sized blanket in wool from originally from Ikea, which will be much used as I work and read on the couch. In addition, I found a full sized trapper-ish blanket in dusty pink to go on the bed. The cost? $14 for the two of them, and no Riot 4 Austerity points, since they came from the thrift store. I don't shop much anymore, and although it's hugely embarassing for me to be so excited by consumption, I'm really very pleased with these - I've spent the evening in bed wrapped in the pink one already, and it's kept me very warm indeed. I don't have pictures right now, but hopefully soon.

True, these are more things that I'm bringing into my apartment, but I think they're worth it. They're warm, and useful, and something I've been looking for for awhile now. And despite my efforts in non-consumption, this is consumption that I can certainly live with.

No comments:

 
Brighter Planet's 350 Challenge