Friday, October 17, 2008

Christmas planning

I haven't been buying anything other than food and basic necessities recently. In the name of downshifting, I've been working really hard to get rid of stuff and declutter my apartment rather than bringing yet more into the fray.

I did buy something today though. It's a sewing pattern - Simplicity 2860, a pattern for a variety of fabric shopping bags. I probably could have figured these out myself, given enough time, and probably some wasted materials, but these are exactly what I've been wanting to make, and the pattern was on special for a whole $2.49. Happily, given the amount of fabric that I have kicking around here, I didn't even have to buy materials while I was out.

I'd like to make some for me, but I was also thinking that, if I can get my act together, they might make for some good Christmas gifts for friends, either on their own or with some environmental-type things in them.

My family and friends don't really do a big Christmas. We have family time, and exchange gifts with a few people, but there really isn't much in the way of mass celebration, or mass consumerism (although, yes, we do buy some things.) And I like it that way. But I think some homemade gifts might fit in well here. Also, it might be a nice gesture to give out a few more gifts this year, especially if it means that a few people use a few less bags. We may need drastic change, but I'm still willing to entertain the idea that every little bit counts.

No comments:

 
Brighter Planet's 350 Challenge